Sunday, December 7, 2014

Choose to be Healthy in December 2014

How do you overcome the holiday weight gain?! Plan, Plan, Plan!! Really this is how you overcome the temptations EVERY day!

Thanks to my friend Teresa for introducing me (and buying for me) this calendar. I like the monthly format better but my family can follow this one much easier, plus it forces us (me really) to discuss our activities and plan our meals for the week.  (Notice how I have breakfast, lunch & dinner planned. This helps me at 6a to stay on task and helps my teenager to make a decent lunch for her younger siblings.) I don't have any holiday parties but if you do plan to eat very healthy 2 days before and 2 days after to make up for the splurges you CHOOSE during those parties.

As for the "appetite" you have between meals, (Appetite is the desire to eat when you are not hungry.) ask yourself these questions before you plunge your hand into the chip bag, or your spoon into the Nutella jar, or grab another Diet Soda...

How much water have I had today? (Many times your just thirsty but we've conditioned our bodies to fill our thirst with food. Thus we stay thirsty! Got Water?

Why do I want to eat? Am I tired, bored, overwhelmed, procrastinating? Take a walk around the block or take a few flights of stairs to reenergize your mind and body, grab some water, then get back to the task at hand.

How many fruits or vegetables have I had today?  Your body may be lacking vital minerals and vitamins that your body NEEDS to function properly. Have a small salad - filled with veggies, preferably green (spinach, green leaf lettuce, broccoli, zucchini, green beans, asparagus, bell peppers (all colors), a few baby carrots, tomatoes. Use Salsa (with no sugar) or lemon juice or 2 Tbsp of a natural oil based dressing for some healthy fat. But watch the portions! It's filling and healthy!

Choose to be healthy. When you make the commitment, it's easier to follow through than if you chose to let yourself go until January 1.

Wouldn't you rather look forward to CONTINUUING your journey of fitness in 2015 than dreading having to START?

No comments:

Post a Comment