Tuesday, March 3, 2015

"Let's Not Talk About That".... Or LET'S!

This is a picture of the beginning of dinner for my family.  They will be puree'd and secretly added to the spaghetti sauce that will be poured over whole grain spaghetti.  (And in case your wondering, I like Classico spaghetti sauce. It's a reasonable price and the ingredients are fairly healthy.  My favorite is tomato basil.  Sugar is listed as an ingredient but #1 it's listed as SUGAR, rather than high fructose corn syrup and #2 it's listed under the 2% or less.  Check it out for yourself   http://www.classico.com/Products/Tomato%20Basil ) 

But how does spaghetti sauce & bell peppers relate to "let's not talk about that"?  Well, I have found that bell peppers really help with being regular... as in, going poo.  (Woooaaaahhh, there I go!)

Yeah, so my cute little 4 year old, who is making up songs about the "Texas Star is so much fun", right behind me right now, has had stomach pains for a full week!!  I finally took her to the doctor, since they didn't resolve on their own, just to find out she was Full of "it"!! (Pun totally intended!!) They even did x-rays to be sure that was the only issue.  And there it was. Poop, poop pellets (ouch), and lots of gas!!  The doctor prescribed Fruits, Veggies, lots of water, and Miralax!

Now, I pride myself on my kids eating healthy: green vegetables at every dinner, taking a "2 bite no thank  you" of food they don't normally like or aren't willingly try on their own, and making sure they're drinking their Bolthouse Green Goddess just to be sure they're getting enough fiber/vegetables (especially if that 2 bite no thank you included the green veggies!)  But with moving into our new, bigger house and getting settled, I guess I haven't been as diligent.  Now, constipation apparently "runs in our family", but when I eat all my greens every day, I have no problems!!!  So, it makes me wonder how much of it is "inherited" and how much of it is actually related to our diets, including the diets our families have passed down. 

I have so many thoughts about this.... where to start!

1. I think that a lot of what society and the medical community says we "inherit", is a lot of issues that can be linked to the diets and habits that have been ingrained in us through what our parents have taught us.  If we grew up eating bacon & eggs for breakfast and meat and potatoes with few veggies for dinner and we continue to do that into adulthood and teach it to our children, then it is very likely that we are going to "inherit" high blood pressure, diabetes, constipation, etc just because we are lacking a ton of nutrients from the vegetables, lacking healthy whole grains and lacking healthy fat from nuts and fish (which do help with digestion and brain function) and adding too much fat, unhealthy proteins, and too many carbs.

2. I was reading an article on WedMD about constipation and I don't understand why the medical community doesn't stress, and I mean STRESS, Green Leafy Vegetables.  http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/features/chronic-constipation-facts-vs-myths  I mean, this is a great article, but I really feel like it leaves out a lot of information.   I have recently added beet greens to my daily salad (  http://foodfacts.mercola.com/beet-greens.html ) and oh boy has that made me even more regular.  When the articles you read talk about "dark, leafy greens", Beet Greens is what they are talking about!

The WebMD article also mentions that 50% of people only have 1 bowel movement a day (I guess BM is a nicer way of saying that. But when you have 4 kids, well, I'm just used to talking kid talk.)  The article also says that even just three bowel movements a week is normal.  "Normal" may mean it's with the majority, but I don't think it is necessarily healthy. I have found for me that when I don't eat my veggies I am not as regular.  A dietician once told me that you are supposed to go poo as often as you eat.  So, if you eat 6 meals a day, you should poo about 6 times a day.  to be honest, every time I have to go pee, I end up going poo just a little. Gosh I know that's TMI, but honestly, that is information that needs to be put out there.  Going often is normal and good for your colon!!!  

The WebMD article mentions that "toxins do not accumulate in your colon when constipated", but what it doesn't mention is the major issues that can happen!!  This article from Livestrong.com mentions a few issues, including Diverticulitis.  My brother had this at 20yrs old!! It's not fun!! He almost died from it! http://www.livestrong.com/article/175379-harmful-effects-of-chronic-long-term-constipation/   Having poo remain in your colon is NOT HEALTHY and cause SERIOUS damage!!

Thank goodness my little one didn't have damage to her colon or small intestines, but it sure did cause her a lot of pain.  I mean, this girl was in so much pain a few times, she writhed (back arched, tears down her face), her skin even became pail, then she would pass out sleeping from the whole ordeal.  And that was just from gas and constipation.  Imagine if something even more serious happened.

The moral of this blog is EAT YOUR VEGGIES PEOPLE!!!  Laxatives are not always the answer!!  Taking too many can actually make your constipation problems worse!!  I always try to treat me and my families ailments naturally.  So, if eating greens and bell peppers can help with constipation, well then I will sneak them into my families diet if I have to.

I can't wait for spaghetti tonight ;)

Be Healthy!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment