Monday, January 12, 2015

Measuring Up

I feel the need to give out a big dose of encouragement today.  I happen to have a couple of people specifically on my mind, but I figure, there's a reason for that. And this may be meant for just those two, but I have a strong feeling that MOST of us need to hear this.


If you are feeling down on yourself in any way, why? Do you feel your not good enough? You don't look good enough? You're not a good enough mom or wife or daughter or friend? Maybe you think you just don't do enough.... to be good enough. 


How is it that we get into this negative frame of mind to begin with?  Usually something has happened or someone has said something.  there are the obvious thing like, you're fired from a job or an abusive person in your life (parent, friend, teacher, boss, etc) said some terribly mean things to you.  Either way, it was some thing that was important to you, like a job or a position, or it was said by someone important to you.  What's funny is that, it may not have been done in a negative way or said directly to you.... Let me give an example.


You wanted so badly to be promoted to a certain position, but the company passed you up for someone outside the company.  You ended up getting fed up and quitting and finding a different job later.  But being passed up has stayed with you and made you feel that maybe you just weren't good enough, even though the job you found was even better for you.


Maybe a mentor gave you constructive criticism. You can't believe that they don't respect you and don't realize how much you look up to them and how much they have hurt you by telling you "you need to do this better".  When in reality what they actually said was "try to improve this".  You end up moving on and not talking to that  mentor much anymore. What you don't know is that that mentor recommended you to that place you moved onto. And they recommended you improve that one thing because "that" was just what they were looking for.


We make up these scenarios in our head (especially us ladies!!) and we just think of all the ways that we don't measure up!  But what... or who... is that we are trying to measure up to?  Maybe it's ourselves, our own expectations of keeping up with the house work or home work or workouts or food prepping and planning, etc.  But if you really dig deep.... are you trying to keep up with your friend who is always on top of her house work? your colleague who is always on top of her homework? That girl on Facebook who posts her COMPLETED food prepping every Sunday?


What you don't know or don't see is the OTHER areas in their lives where they do struggle!  Maybe that person who is always on top of her housework has trouble socializing and feels lonely and that she has no friends. Maybe your colleague who is always on top of her homework has marital problems and getting her work done is keeping her from dealing with her husband.  Maybe that girl on Facebook who is always prepping her food has an eating disorder and doesn't think she's pretty or good enough for anyone.


DON'T BELIEVE THE ENEMY'S LIES!  Lies that you are not good enough, smart enough, pretty enough, talented enough…or simply just not enough period. It is time to overcome the lies of the enemy with the promises of God. You are who God says you are! You have what God says you have! You are His holy, chosen, forgiven, and dearly loved child that is equipped by God, empowered by the Holy Spirit, and enveloped by Jesus Christ.


I know that reading this and agreeing with this are much harder to actually, truly BELIEVE THIS and FEEL IT in your SOUL that it is truth. So I'm going o repeat it, but YOU need to repeat it, outloud, to yourself, as well, as many times as you need to until you believe it.


Let me tell you a little of my story. 


I have a pretty good head on my shoulders. I think positively most of the time.  I'm pretty modest, humble, but I think that is also because I have a decent combination of thoughts that say "you look horrible today because your workout has left you with frizzy hair and the lack of sleep has left you with some night purple circles under your eyes."  But then I have those days when I get to dress up, put on some make up, some cute clothes and heels and cute jewelry. I even get to blow dry my hair!  (That's an accomplishment with 4 kids and living in workout clothes 5 days a week).  But on those days I look in the mirror and think, "Man, I really am looking good today!"


But, when I got married my husband would tell me all the time, "You're Hot!".  It was a running joke because when ever one of us would say "You're Hot" the other would respond with "You're Sexy".  It was fun and cute, but one day I had this realization.  My husband actually meant it!!!!  I mean, he would say this "you're hot" or "you're sexy" after I worked out with the frizzy hair and purple circles under my eyes!!!  And this was 4 years after we had been married!!  I think God finally opened my eyes to the TRUTH that My Husband Truly thought/thinks that I am Hot! Even when I think I'm not! 


This is the same way with God.  God created you! You are His precious child! Don't you love your child?  Don't you think your child is beautiful even when they are at their messiest?  Don't you think they're cute even when they've done something wrong? (So you have to hide your face from them when you laugh after you've just scolded them.)


God Loves You The Way You Are!! 


And that is ALL THAT MATTERS!!! 


This life here on earth is soooooooo temporary.  God put us here to love Him. 


It takes our kids a while to realize how much we love them (usually when they become parents themselves, right?)  So don't feel bad if you it takes you a long time to realize that God Truly Does Love Every Single Part Of You and Truly Has Forgiven Every Bad Thing You've Done.  My prayer is that you have this same realization one day.  I pray that you, one day soon, KNOW that YOU. ARE. WORTHY. IN GOD'S EYES.


It is our responsibility to take care of our bodies and the things God has given us, but if your mind and spirit are not in the right place, you cannot take care of your physical body properly.


Remember, we have ALL FALLEN SHORT of the Glory of God.  So don't compare yourself to others!  They have fallen short, too. Just maybe in a different area than you.  Instead compare yourself to God's example, but give yourself Grace, forgive your own short comings.  If JESUS, part man part God, PERFECT in every way, can FORGIVE YOU!!! YOU CAN FORGIVE YOURSELF.


For daily devotionals... Today's is no exception... click on Bible Gateway.com  Devotionals
https://www.biblegateway.com/devotionals/encouragement-for-today/today/


Y'all be Healthy, but more importantly, Be Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment