Wednesday, April 25, 2012

It"s A Lifestyle

Sometimes I wonder why I even have a blog. I rarely post anything and when I do no one comments, so I don't know if anyone is actually reading...Well, I do see that I've had 221 views, but I've had this for so long and like I said, there are so few posts that I've made. And it's not like I don't have stuff to say, it's just a matter of me having time...or making time...to sit down and type it up. Honestly, I have tons of thoughts, I'm usually making my lunch during those thoughts.  And making my lunch takes me about an hour to prep (my kids lunch included).  But it's a choice I make. I take the time to prepare my lunch because I don't want to eat boxed food out of the freezer. I want to have a fresh salad with all kinds of random fixin's (which is exactly what I'm eatting right now. I even posted it on my facebook today! Look it up -  I'm under Vicki Ellis Luu on facebook.)  And if I'm doing really good, like I am today, I'm logging my food into my fitnesspal on my ipod throughout the process...which probably takes about 1/3 of the time.  But again, it's a choice I make. And so is sitting down the type this blog. I could easily be practicing my songs for church band (I'll do that after since practice is in 6 hours) or checking my email or cleaning my house (which totally needs it right now!) or making a flyer that I need to make for yet another thing I'm volunteering for.  But no, I'm making the decision to share my thoughts with you.  Do you see the theme?  It's all about choices!

I guess I could've titled this post "Choices", but the more often you make the same choices, the more it becomes a habit, which inevitably becomes a lifestyle. Which brings me to my point.

I see so many people go to the gym.  And I love to see them there.  I've seen people on their fitness journey, where they start off on the treadmill only!  Then they'll slowly try out the elliptical and build up the minutes they can actually stay on it. Then they'll even try out some weight machines or maybe a group exercise class.  I've even seen people who start out only on the treadmill, work their way up to 3 group exercise classes a day!!  And I see them on a regular basis! I mean, they have made exercise a part of their lifestyle!!!  But...(here it comes)...most of the time (not all, but the majority by far) they're goal is to be healthier and to lose weight.  And yes, they have made exercise a part of their lifestyle, but their weight hasn't budged.  And although their meds have been decreased, they're still on 'em.  You see, exercise is only 1...or 3...hours out of 24 hours.  Why is it that people are willing to make exercise a part of their lifestyle, but they are not willing to change their food??????  How you eat is a lifestyle, too.

I met this stranger during spring break who had just started with a personal trainer and had just finished a spin class. She was getting a smoothie for her post workout snack.  This was a coffee shop and out of all the choices, she got a pina colada smoothie-seriously??  Sure there's some fruit-pineapple, but maybe 1/8 of it!!  The rest is milk and sugar! sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, SUGAR!!! I didn't say that, but you KNOW I thought it.  Then she proceeded to tell me how her trainer told her to eat and how there was no way it was realistic or possible to do the diet long term.  What was so funny, is she described EXACTLY, let me re-iterate, with no exaggeration- EXACTLY  How I EAT!

high fiber breakfast with fruit
high protein snack with veggies
high protein, high fiber lunch with veggies or fruit
high protein low fat snack with veggies
small dinner with protein & veggies and very little to no carbs depending on your previous meals

I did tell her that is exactly how I eat and that it is totally do-able and that is the way to eat if you want to be healthy and maintain the weight loss.  She seemed surprised, like, she still didn't believe it.  But really, she just didn't WANT to believe it.  Because she wasn't willing to make those choices. She wasn't willing to learn or try or to put in the hard work or take the time it was gonna take to make the "diet" suggested a lifestyle.

I have even more thoughts on this, but I'll make another post in case you need a break or a chance to process this.  Just think about it. What kind of lifestyle do you really want?  Exercise can be hard work, but it really doesn't take a TON of brain power.  Just make your body move and burn some calories. But if you REALLY want to be healthy and you really want to lose weight and keep it off, you've gotta learn to eat right - what you eat, when you eat, where you eat, how you eat...it all matters.  But you have to be willing to make the choice enough to make it a habit, to make it a lifestyle.

(see my awesome lunch made out of a bunch of leftovers!)


http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150694816463981&set=a.10150437332118981.369448.779653980&type=1&theater

No comments:

Post a Comment